Ueno Park in Tokyo City is definitely one of the best cherry blossom (sakura) spots in Japan.Ueno is located in the middle of Tokyo City and has Keisei Skyliner to Narita International Airport, JR Yamanote Line and other major trains.
Little children to grown-up art lovers visit Ueno, and I believe that many of you put Ueno on your travel schedule when you go on a trip to Tokyo.
In my opinion, it is the very best place to view sakura in Tokyo.
|Cherry trees blooming fully and Ueno Zoo Entrance over there|
I uploaded a post about full-blooming cherry blossoms in Ueno Park last year as a forecast and report.
So I hope to concentrate into the photos and practical sightseeing guide this year.
Actually, I have a place in Ueno Park that I don’t want you to miss.
It’s Shinobazu Pond.
It’s true that some people visiting Ueno go there, but unfortunately, others don’t because they get TOTALLY SATISFIED with the 1200 cherry trees BEFORE Shonobazu Pond!
It will never happen to you who are reading Tokyo Direct Diary.
You turn left from the place of the first photo. Go ahead here.
Second, advance between breathtaking cherry trees like this…
And when you find this temple hall on your left, turn right.
Go down the stairs, cross the street and proceed.
Then you arrive at the most beautiful sakura spot in Tokyo!
I’ll show you how beautiful, how cozy Shinobazu Pond is in the following.
|Benzaiten of Kaneiji Temple in the middle of Shinobazu Pond, Ueno|
This is Benzaiten Hall of Kaneiji Temple (pronounce kan-ei-ji) in the middle of Shinobazu Pond.
Yes, as you can see the Google Map below, there are this temple and a path in the pond!
|Food stands for Sakura Matsuri|
Traditionally, food stands come to any festivals in Japan. If you have been reading Tokyo Direct Diary for a year, you have seen some in Morning Glory Market in July.
You can get a fried noodle, grilled corn, grilled sea food, and some soul food just by several hundred yen in the way to Benzaiten Hall. I got boiled potatoes!
Go ahead from Benzaiten Hall, finally you are in a place like this.
Then the sakura path in the pond welcomes you!
Have you ever thought that “supporting players” are as important as the main character?
I think that Shinobazu Pond have many beautiful things other than cherry blossoms, and that they makes this place the best spot for sakura viewing.
Weeping Willow Trees
Fresh green of weeping willows, clear blue of the sky and pale pink of sakura are go very well with each other.
These 3 colors make me feel… spring.
|The best combination of sakura and weeping willows!|
Sakura Viewing Boats
|sakura viewing boats in Shinobazu Pond|
|Swan boats in Shinobazu pond|
|Red cherry blossoms, weeping willow trees, sakura and Benzaiten Hall over there|
|Reflections of sakura in Shonobazu Pond, Ueno Park, Tokyo, Japan|
|Reflections of weeping Willow trees and cherry blossoms|
Everything to Visit Ueno Park Sakura Festival – Visitor Information
How to get to Ueno
Ueno is one of the hub stations in Tokyo. It is a very convenient place from anywhere in Tokyo.
Not only major JR Yamanote Line and Keihin-Tohoku Line, Ueno-Tokyo Line, Utsunomiya Line, Takasaki Line, Joban Line and some super expresses stop at Ueno.
Get out of Park Exit, and the park is just in front of you.
Ginza Subway Line and Hibiya Subway Line have Ueno Station, too.
See MORE Sakura Spots in Tokyo
- Cherry Blossom Forecast 2015
- Early-Blooming Sakura & A Sightseeing Guide to Yoyogi Park, Harajuku, Tokyo – There are so many standard cherry trees, too!
- The Full-Blooming Weeping Cherry Tree in the Japanese Garden of Rikugien – photos & reports
- Tokyo’s Cherry Blossom (Sakura) Spot – Koishikawa Korakuen Gardens
- Cherry Blossom Diary 2014, Full-blooming Photos and Sightseeing Guide in Chidorigafuchi (Imperial Palace)
- Ueno Park Cherry Blossom Festival 2014 – Report and Photos
- Cherry Blossoms in Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden
- Full-Blooming Cherry Blossoms in Asakusa & Sumida Riverside
- Kyu Shiba Rikyu Gardens in Hamamatsucho & Hotel Guide
- Best Photo Selection 2014 & other kinds of sakura
- Flickr Album – Cherry Blossoms (Sakura) in Tokyo 2014
See MORE of Ueno
- The Best Things at Tokyo National Museum in Ueno: full of old & important arts!
- Spring Peony Garden in Toshogu Shrine in Ueno Park
- Ri Ri & Shin Shin: giant pandas
- A Sad Tale of Elephants in Ueno Zoo: a tragedy in World War 2
- Shoebills in Ueno Zoo? What are they?
- All About Iriya Asagao (Morning Glory) Market/Festival